The building housing AVU’s Modern Gallery was created by adapting a provisional pavilion built in 1891 for a contemporary art exhibition on the Holešovice fairgrounds according to plans by architect Antonín Wiehl. The neo-Renaissance building, whose main facade faces towards the centre of the fairgrounds, was decorated with sgraffito and sculptures by František Hergessel. In 1893, after the conclusion of the exhibition, Josef Hlávka rented the building for the Academy’s needs. After the school’s new building was completed, the pavilion was converted into the Modern Gallery of the Kingdom of Bohemia according to plans by Jan Kotěra from 1904. During the German occupation, the building was used as a storehouse by the Wehrmacht, and during the Prague Uprising at the end of the war in May 1945 it was occupied in the name of the Academy by a revolutionary group of students. Since then, the building has been used for teaching sculpture and printmaking, and later also the newly created field of art restoration. The building’s latest renovation from 2006 is the work of architects Zdeněk Jiran and Michal Kohout.
(From Jiří T. Kotalík, The Historic Buildings of the Academy of Fine Arts)
CS / EN