The main building at AVU, built in the autumn of 1903, is the work of Vienna-based architect Václav Roštlapil. The choice of the building site on the edge of Stromovka Park and the construction of the school’s new home were in part the initiative of the philanthropist Josef Hlávka. Roštlapil began designing the building in 1897, combining motifs from the French neo-Renaissance with distinctive mansard roofs and elements of Art Nouveau and folk art. The neo-classicist street-facing elevation with Art Nouveau stucco ornaments by Jindřich Čapek and Jaroslav Vorel contrasts with the side elevation’s purist carved windows. The rear facade with the glass cascade of studio windows stretching across the wall and ceiling is of a modern industrial character. The building’s interior shows the influence of numerous leading artists: the library by architect Jan Kotěra, the later designs of the front desk area by professor Jaroslav Fragner, the new screening auditorium. The building was renovated in the late 1990s according to plans by architect Karel Rulík. The former attic now houses an auditorium designed by Vladimír Řepa.
(From Jiří T. Kotalík, The Historic Buildings of the Academy of Fine Arts)
CS / EN